Index: Introduction - Jacket - Weapons - Base - Face - Lower Body - Painting

Making of Kirika - Part 2 / Jacket + Vest

The biggest piece of work is her clothing. Since Kirika's standard clothes are quite different from Ein's, I eradicated almost all of the original kit's clothing, subsequently had to resculpt a lot.

 
I use Magic Sculp epoxy putty (MS) for most filling in this kit. It comes in parts A & B and you knead them together, and the putty will cure in about 3 hours. The cured MS is hard but not brittle, so it's very good for sculpting. Also I bought a set of wax carving sets which is sufficient for detailing her clothes and such.

MS is the green stuff. I got rid of bottom half of Ein's shirt and replaced it with the slimmer body of Kirika. The neck flaps of the original sailor school uniform were opened up and MS was put in place for Kirika's vest. The trick here is the vest need to accomodate the head (which includes part of her upper chest). To do this I put the head in place, smear the chest with vaseline, and applied MS around the vest area. The head can then be pulled off.
The lowerbody then needs to be fitted to the top before I proceed further. I applied vaseline on the newly created body, and applied Mori Mori surrounding the bottom of the upper body. When dried, the upper body can be pulled apart and the Mori Mori will form a shape that fits the upper body perfectly.
I then applied vaseline around the newly created Mori Mori lower body, and wrapped a piece of thin MS around the abodmen. You can use water to smooth MS so that it will perfectly blend into existing MS. This becomes the lower part Kirika's vest and is supposed to wrap around the top part of her miniskirt, which is why I had to go through these steps. I used the spoon-like tool on the wax-carving set to sculpt the wrinkles in. The twisted left waist area would have a lot of those, and the right stretched part would have much less, or so I reasoned. In the picture however I over did it.
In the end a few heavy coats of Mr. Surfacer 500 levelled the wrinkles somewhat and they look pretty natural. It's pretty exciting to see her coolness starting to form :)
Her left arm required a lot of test fitting to get the right pose; at wrong angles the arm would look very unnatural. After removing a lot of resin from the left side of the body and the left arm I found an angle that may work and pinned the left arm. You can also see the head cover of Kirika's over coat that was converted from Ein's sailor "flaps".
One of the hardest piece of sculpting was to extend Ein's small jacket into Kirika's full jogging coat. It'll however a very important part of Kirika's coolness so it had to be worked on. I roughed up the underside of the original jacket so that MS will stick to it, and pressed a thin sheet of MS to attach to it. The difficulty lies in the undulating relief of the jacket, it flies around. I wasn't experienced enough to cut out a piece of MS that'd fit the relief perfectly, so after the thin piece of MS is attached, I needed to stretch the MS a little everywhere to create the shape I wanted. But thin MS doesn't like to be stretched and they could result in holes or even break.
Front view. One trick is that you don't need to have the jacket be uniformly thin; it can be thicker in the middle because the perception of thickness by people is only via the jacket edges. That means I can at least putty up a lot of the rough spots without ruining the jacket.
This time I use SSP-HG for the job. It's superglue-based so it'll add security to the extended jacket piece, and it sands easily so I don't have to apply a lot of pressure which may break it.
After many hours of sanding and priming the jacket it finally was smooth.

The guns were created (detailed in the next section) and attached to the hands. The original sailor fuku was kind of skimpy and doesn't match the image of the baggy overcoat that Kirika wears, so more MS sculpting.
The putty is mostly added to the underside of the arms to create that drooped look. I also thought the left shoulder of the jacket was very awkward, so I smoothed it out with MS.
To make the lining of the jacket I experimented with a few choices involving wires, but they were very hard to conform to a curve. I eventually settled on using miniature ropes. The splay ends of the rope is also perfect for those pulling strings for this kind of jacket.
These ropes are fabrics, so eventually you need to soak them with superglue to get something that you can work with. More superglue at the end to fix their shapes. I have the rope extending quite a bit longer for the pulling string than the character design art, these free flying things are cool ^^ MS for the little plastic thingy typically used for these strings. Finally the evil voices said something about zippers, so I rolled a really thin piece of epoxy putty and slap it inside the jacket, and used those eyeglasses screwdriver to press some zipper teeth out. It's hard to gauge how all these things look like until they're primed.
The pocket openings are done with thin sheets of MS.
Finally I lumped some surfacer below the pocket openings, so that they look more like pockets. I also levelled out the jacket linings so that they're smooth. The pull strings however were untouched since the ropes simulates the strings very well. Thin pieces of MS wraps around the end of the jacket where the pull string starts. Here base white is primed and the jacket is finally ready for painting!

< Prev | Next >

What's new | Gallery | Modeling | Guestbook | Msg Board | Links | Home | Mail | For Sale
Copyright © 2001 Cody Kwok