Photographing the Neo Zeong

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

I finally got to use my bigger studio set up for the massive Neo Zeong. I wanted to get the psycho shards to have a glowing effect, hence I placed a flash behind it.

image

However the skirt of NZ casted a big shadow on the ring, so I had to compensate by using another flash to fill that section.

Another thing was that the clear pipe didn’t work too well to support the big guy without the booster legs, the Kit tends to lean backwards. I’m not sure the psycho shards have anything to do with it or not, but it wasn’t good. The Big guy actually fell in the ground from a chair at one point, but it managed to survive with minimal damage… That was scary.

image

I didn’t update the last bits of wip, but I did some more detailing on the weapons container and added some hydraulics to support the opened hatches. These came from spare the Millenium Falcon again… Without the hatches seem like they just popped open without some support.

Neo Zeong details

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

I forgot exactly when I started building NZ, but from my posting history it’s a bit over 2 months ago. I have been working on this pretty constantly so it felt like a long process.

The weapon container is one of the more detailed parts on NZ so I gave it a bit more spice. The found openings I added a couple of builder’s parts to it to give it more dimensions, and the hatches are given Kotobukiya square molds (2).  I opened up all the depressions on the edges and added some missile-like details from underneath, using my Macross weapon sets. This photo was taken a while ago, the 4 “division” sign details were removed in favor of exhaust etch parts.

Some skirt details below. This is the area aounr the I-field generator, and it’s a bit barren so I thought it could use some detail up, which was done using Kotobukiya pistons and springs.

NZ has its hidden sub arms that wasn’t available in the original kit. Here I got Kit’s Power resin kit for it. I saw the kit photo with two arms and thought it’d come with two, but ended up with only one, and now it’s sold out. Alas. One arm it is.

The kit came with resin joints… obviously they recasted bits of Kotobukiya’s joint systems in resin. The instruction told you to replace these with the regular Koto ones for more sturdy joints, but since I didn’t want to wait yet another month for them, I used my spare Volks MM units… much sturdier 🙂 Also got 4 of the smallest HobbyBase joints for the fingers.

I spent 1.5 days over the weekend to decal the dude… now ready to coat.

Neo Zeong arms II

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

While moveability of NZ isn’t one of its forte, I was quite taken to its pose in the mechanic file, where it has its arms outstretched. The kit wouldn’t do it as one of the parts was obscuring the movement.

I opted to convert the part to a double ball joint…

image

And now the arm can almost stretch out completely!

image

The last details I wanted to do are the weapon containers.

Neo Zeong arms

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

Getting closer! Detailing the arms is a real chore since you have to do it six times. That’s the beauty of this beast.

Following the mechanic file image, added these details…

image

image

image

Realized that I can use the kotobukiya pistons for the funnels, I think I’ll go with this

image

Exhaust details for Neo Zeong

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

Continuing on NZ, with exhaust flaps from photoetch parts.

image

I was debating whether to detail the bowl in the tail, but found a satisfactory configuration of parts so here we go.

image

I have a hard time mixing a red that I like since I can decide between the original dark red vs a lighter more Char red. Wish I just went with the Gundam Color but I didn’t know they have a NZ red available.

Neo Zeong hands

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

Was bothered by the empty space inside the hands now that I converted all of them to movable fingers, so I savaged the landing gears from my millennium falcon kit to fill the void.

image

Also used the BMC side scraper to create a number of edge details.

image

I wish I could restart painting soon, but detailing is quite addictive….

Neo Zeong Fingers II

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

I don’t know why I still have the will to carry this through, but I do! Spent the weekend creating panel line and recessed details in the fingers… all 30 of them! I’ll have 4 of the funnel bits floating. When they are detached, they open up and extend into 3 shards. Now I’m going to set these 4 guys up that way.


image

 

Neo Zeong fingers

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

Its painful to do this 30 times! But the fingers is one mod I didn’t see a lot of, and the illustrations of NZ always comes in a certain way.

Also planning to install ball joints at the bases of the fingers rather than the fingers themselves… I think that’s the way NZ was always illustrated.

image